LED Lighting Research & Development Updates from the Department of Energy
In August, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) published its 2014 Solid-State Lighting Manufacturing R&D Roadmap. This report addressed developments and issues in the production of LED and OLED lighting, such as:
- Material and equipment suppliers
- Public and private funding considerations
- Quality control concerns
- Cost management
This information has already proven valuable to business owners, homeowners, and cities utilizing or considering outdoor lighting design or municipal LED street lighting.
Highlights of the New 2014 Roadmap
The Roadmap, an update to the information and recommendations set forth by the 2013 version, presented and analyzed comprehensive data relevant to the manufacture and sale of SSL lighting products, including:
- Color uniformity issues. For both OLED and LED lighting technologies, color uniformity continues to be a concern. The Roadmap attempts to address these problems by suggesting manufacturing techniques that will improve consistency.
- Pricing updates. The costs for LED lights are steadily decreasing, but further improvements to packaging and other considerations are needed going forward.
- Cost savings. Users of SSL lighting sources collectively saved about $1.8 billion in electricity expenses in 2013.
- Design issues. OLED and LED Luminaires and lamps continue to require more economical design techniques to maximize their efficiency.
Contact Us Today for Your Outdoor LED Lighting Project
Do you have questions about LED and OLED lighting technologies? At Great Basin Lighting, we specialize in outdoor LED lighting and remain apprised of recent industry developments, such as the 2014 DOE Roadmap. Contact us today to learn more about our products and services for your business or municipality. Fill out our online contact form right here on our website, or give us a call today at 925-240-1566 (California office) or 775-333-0900 (Nevada office).